Homemade Marshmallow Fondant

 

Print Friendly and PDF

Ingredients:
  • 1 (1 lb. or 454 gm) bag of mini marshmallows (I use the big ones...just remember to weigh them if 
  •      using the big ones.
  • 2 T. water
  • 5-6 cups of powdered sugar
  • 1 tsp. of lemon, orange, almond or vanilla extract (optional)...I use the almond extract

Directions:
  1. Place the marshmallows in a big bowl.
  2. Add water.
  3. Microwave it for a minute. Let it rest in microwave for a minute, then microwave it again for 1 minutes.
  4. In the meantime grease a wooden spoon with shortening.
  5. Mix marshmallows until all melted and smooth. Add flavors and color if using. (I just make my fondant white and add the color I need mixing it by kneading the color into the fondant).
  6. Add 2 cups of powdered sugar and mix.
  7. Add another 2 cups of powdered sugar and mix again. It will be harder to mix with a spoon at this stage. Use a scraper to get to the bits at the bottom of the bowl. Use your hands to knead the dough. (I grease my hands at this point to keep the dough from sticking to my hands). 
  8. The dough will still be sticky at this point. Add 1 to 2 more cups of powdered sugar. The amount varies depending on how sticky the dough is.
  9. I mix it in a bowl and then place it on my pie mat to knead. It's totally up to you how you want to do it. Just keep in mind you might need to grease your hands a few times.
  10. Make it into a ball shape and cover with plastic wrap and it inside a tight sealed container or baggie. Don't forget to squeeze the air out.
This recipe is enough to cover up to a 12" round cake 4" high. I have never used it on a cake. I use my fondant for making shapes, flowers and other decorations for cakes or cupcakes. Thanks "Make Fabulous Cakes" for a great recipe for fondant...and it's a lot cheaper than buying it pre-made.